lundi 30 mars 2020

Challenging world nowadays.

It has been a very long while since the last time I wrote here. Judging from the last entry posted back in January 2016, that shows that it has been more than 4 years since back then.

I love writing. It has always been something I love since my 1st essay assignment back in 1997 in primary school year 3. We started with 50-word, developed to 80-word, to 180-word to number of words I can't recall anymore. Sometimes I can be a little too imaginative and it backfired at times those days, even though most of the time I was always among the top scorer when it came to essay-writing let it be in Malay or in English, and not surprisingly, not in Arabic.

To be honest, I don't really have topic to write today, but I somehow feel like writing. Thinking that life has been so interesting and challenging, where many things that we think almost impossible to happen still happened. Let us have a quick recap on such events.

How in 2008, BN won less seats in election, something not that impossible but happened anyway, not so soon after, remember Anwar Ibrahim was talking about forming a government by tapping-up opposition MPs, and it did not materialize, only to materialize after more than a decade later but not in his favor where Muhyiddin Yasin appointed as PM after Tun M' resignation, leaving PH losing its power after 22 months in charge, again after a historic triumph over BN in 2018 election. That happened after 60 years of BN' ruling, again something we never think would happen but we live through it to see that eventually happened.

Not so long after the power shift in Malaysia, the country is now being badly hit by the Covid-19 virus, shutting down lots of businesses, forcing a "Restricted Movement Order" a bit like a lock-down where only those with solid reason are allowed out in the street. Like a zombie attack I say, how people have to manage their food stock at home wisely. I did my household groceries 2 weekends ago and as there only are 4 of us in the house - myself, my wife, our 4-y.o and 2-m.o sons so our consumption is quite small. Especially we as a whole don't eat that much as everybody is concerned about their shape. My kids, of course don't think much about shape but we care about their'.

Couple of stimulus package being introduced by the government, trying their best to help everybody especially those who are badly effected. Imagine street sellers cannot go out selling their good, having to support family. It really is a bad time for the world. This really is a global-scale crisis. Crude oil price down from around $60-70 per bbl to now below $25/bbl as of time of writing.

This is the thing that I worried the most as I am one of the workforce in Energy industry, in Oil & Gas in particular. To make things worse, I involved most in Exploration & Production (E&P), drilling to be precise. As there is oversupply of oil in the market, why would the oil companies drill for more oil?

I have seen it before. Not so long from today, and not so long after I started working. Back in the end of 2014 to late 2017, it was really a tough time for the industry. Lots of personnel got laid off, many turned to e-hailing drivers. Not to forget how heavily this country is depending on money from oil business. Remember how I observe the situation improving, activities picking up due to steady raise in crude price, from below $30/bbl, all time low at that time around 2016 to up above $80 at the end of 2017 to 2018, many companies hit accidental profit.

Sadly it did not last long. This time around, it was not as bad as back then. Back then, services procured based on $100/bbl crude, so when it reached the low of below $30/bbl, imagine how bad the impact was. At current situation at least the services procured based on below $50/bbl, it is yes, not as worse as before but still very much penalizing.

What a time for the country, what a time it is for us. I have got like around 30 years prior to my retirement age of 60, it is such a long non-predictable journey ahead. What can we always do is prepare for the worse, but to what extent? I always dream of wealthy and healthy retirement days, globetrotting around the world. It has always been a pleasure when ever I am at EPF web page, I will always play the retirement savings calculator, smiling at the amount mentioned by the simulator, with housing debt settled by that time. Due to how uncertain things are, all I can do is just smiling and dreaming. It will not always be rainbows and butterflies, quoting Maroon 5' She Will Be Loved ahead.

The world that we currently living in is challenging enough, I sometimes wonder how further challenging it can be, not only to us but to generations ahead. Talks about overpopulation, but I don't think that is an accurate term as there are lots of land around, but people are concentrated in certain areas mainly due to economic activities. Current model is not sustainable, the world has to find a sustainable way.

It has been almost 14 days since the 1st RMO announcement by the government and they already decided to extend it further to another period of 14 days till the middle of April. Nobody can tell what the future holds, how and when will this be stabilized again. All I can do is just pray, and take care of ourselves.

How life has been so far? Graduated with a Bachelor's Degree back in 2011 and started working since, for couple of companies. Got married in 2014 before arrival of our 1st son in 2015 year-end, just got another 2 months ago. It has been beautiful, thanks to the family.

Aiden & Adrian, daddy and mommy love you both so much. Till next entry.

Aucun commentaire:

Ardik manis.. Mana datang dari ini ardik..?